- Positive ions: lost electrons.
- Negative ions: gained electrons.
- Important things to remember:
- Atoms have a neutral overall electrical charge, this is because the number of electrons in an atom is the same as the number of protons in its nucleus.
- Atoms may be identified by their proton number.
1 - 1 = 0
2 - 1 = 1
3 - 1 = 2
- Industrial check for leaks in pipes
- Medical use of cobalt-60 is to treat cancer.
- The charge on the cation is determined by the number of electrons lost.
- The charge on the anion is determined by the number of electrons gained.
- Ions form a lattice, a regular arrangement of alternating positive and negative ions.
- High melting points and boiling points due to the strong electrostatic force between the ions.
- Conduct electricity only when dissolved in water or melted because the ions become free to move.
- They are normally soluble in water.
- The school’s chemistry website: https://sites.google.com/a/abc-net.edu.sv/igcse-chemistry/Home/topic-3-atoms-elements-and-compounds (6/12/2017)
- BBC - GCSE Bitesize: Isotopes