Hello! We are The Paw Print a newspaper by the students, for the students. We want to encourage students to use this space to voice their opinions, display their talents, inform others about their passions, and most of all: enjoy writing.

We hope you enjoy reading our monthly editions!


-The Paw Print executive team

Thursday, 18 May 2017

-----


Edition 003

Let’s Play
Graciela Carolina Menjivar

“Come on Liam! Are you scared?” William said.
“But are you sure nothing bad is gonna happen?” I answered
“Yeah dude, I promise everything is going to be alright... Are you playing or not?”
“Yeah, I guess” I said doubtfully
“So what you have to do is say ‘Ethan’ 5 times in front of a mirror with a candle lighted up, then you will fog up the mirror and write ‘Let’s play’ with your finger”
“That is lame dude, but whatever, I’ll do it.” I said with a laugh.

Why did I even do it? I thought that it was an innocent and non-harmful game but, it wasn’t. I still remember how his whispers crept behind my back when mentioning his name.
The first night I couldn’t even close my eyes… I remember going to the bathroom to wash my face hoping that it was only a bad dream but… He was there. Ethan, a 10 year old blonde boy was standing next to me and staring at me with those blue, big and round powerful eyes. I tried to ignore him but it was impossible because he was always there.
The second night I felt his cold index finger tapping my shoulder when I was brushing my teeth, I wasn't brave enough to look at him so I just tried to pretend that he wasn't there. When Ethan noticed that I was ignoring him, he looked deeply into the mirror and with a big smile he said “Let’s play”. A tear ran down my cheek. I was petrified and didn’t know what to do. I simply closed my eyes for 2 seconds and he was gone.
For 2 whole months, he kept bugging me, and I tried not to tell anyone because I knew it was my fault. He will keep waking me up at midnight asking me if I wanted to play but I always ignored him, until one night. And I regret that night.
“Let’s play” Ethan said eagerly.
“Okay, but what do you wanna play?” I said with a doubt
“Actually, you are not the one playing” He said
“What do you mean?” I asked. At this moment I could feel how my heart wanted to escape from my chest.
Ethan slowly came closer to me and surrounded my neck with his cold lifeless hands until I was out of breath. Then with his claw looking nails he wrote on my arm the name ‘William’. “Who do you wanna pick next?” Ethan said with a whisper on my ear. I was so confused at this stage and I couldn't take it any longer so I screamed my lungs out until I was completely blanked.
Now I’m here, alone, in this padded cell. “Alone”. I’m not actually alone, I can see Ethan standing right in front of me. I swear I’m not crazy! Can’t you see him? He is standing right there in front of you, holding a candle and wearing a white gown. He is right there! Can’t you feel his presence? Don’t you feel his breath and whispers? Because I do! And careful… You dont wanna be my pick...

No comments:

Post a Comment